My babies!

My babies!
Catch up on our families daily adventures, learn more about our dreams and experience life with diabetes through our eyes! Grab a cup of something warm and read on to learn more about my Random Thoughts....

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Seventy-five percent of our planet is water - can you swim?

Kaci and Bailey love to go to the pool! Kaci and Bailey love to go to the beach. Clint loves to go to the pool! Clint loves to go to the beach! Me, on the other hand, I like the pool and I love the beach....but I am a nervous wreck the whole time we are at either one of them. Two of my biggest fears for my children are drowning and choking! (well, in all honesty...the list is a little bit longer than that...but these are 2 BIG ones)

Kaci and Bailey were never the natural "underwater fish" that some children seem to be. Nor were they the " have no fear" kind of kids that other are. They have always been cautious, but curious. I am sure it didn't help that they had me for a mother. The one that tries not to show fear and pain in her face for her children- but more often than not, morbidly fails!

We have taken swim lessons in the past through the city of Cedar Park. Kaci and Bailey learned to blow bubbles- and they learned to sit on the step and kick- but when it came time to go out in to the water and float, they both gave up and cried. With 10 others in the class with only 2 teachers, they were allowed to sit on the side. I took them each week in hopes that they would give in to peer pressure and go in the water- but they never did. They sat on the side.
This year, I decided it was time to learn. REALLY LEARN! I enrolled them in Nitro Swim School- and it was the best thing I have ever done. With only 3 classes down- they are both swimming! Kaci can do the breast stroke and the back stroke. She can roll, do the starfish float and float on her back. Bailey can hold his breath for 13 seconds under water (that is his BEST record). He can do the starfish float, and just last class he swam to the instructor mid-pool!
I am so proud of them. Just look at him go! We go twice a week for 30 minutes and they have already come so far. I am so proud!- I am still nervous, but seem to enjoy the pool a little more each time we go!


No comments: