My babies!

My babies!
Catch up on our families daily adventures, learn more about our dreams and experience life with diabetes through our eyes! Grab a cup of something warm and read on to learn more about my Random Thoughts....

Friday, September 28, 2012

In her words....



Here is a letter Kaci wrote- in her own words to help explain her Diabetes.

Hi! My name is Kaci Borchgardt. I am 10 years old and I am in the 5th grade. 
I was diagnosed with Diabetes when I was just 7 years old on July 28, 2009.

It was the year before I started 2nd grade. I was drinking a lot of water and going to the bathroom a lot. I also lost a lot of weight and I was tired all the time. I had to go to the hospital and that is when I found out I had Diabetes. My Uncle also has Diabetes. He has had it for over 28 years. 

Now I have to check my blood sugar with a finger prick before I eat. Each year I have to prick my finger with a needle about 2, 190 times. I also have to take shots with insulin in them each time I eat and before I go to bed. Each year I have to take about 1, 825 shots! Can you imagine that?! Yeah, it hurts. Sometimes I wish it would just "poof" disappear. Some of the reasons I don't want Diabetes are - because the shots hurt and I can't have sweets as much as I used to- unless my blood sugar is low.

If I don't check my blood sugar or take my shots the side affects are blindness, heart disease, liver and kidney failure and even amputation. I volunteer to help raise money every year. I hope that you will too. All the money you, and others raise, will go to the doctors and scientists so they can buy supplies to find a cure!
Thank you for considering making a donation and thank you for keeping me in your prayers!

Kaci

http://www2.jdrf.org/site/TR?px=1399264&fr_id=1779&pg=personal

No comments: