My babies!

My babies!
Catch up on our families daily adventures, learn more about our dreams and experience life with diabetes through our eyes! Grab a cup of something warm and read on to learn more about my Random Thoughts....

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

God, grant me the serenityto accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference.


Thanks to all of you who have called, emailed or messaged me on facebook.
Kaci is doing well. We are all slowly adjusting to this big change in our lives.

It is a learning process- with no true black and white answers. It is all a gray guessing game to us right now as we play with the food and insulin intake. We are still making adjustments each and every day. We call her Dr. each night at dinner to give her the days numbers and we go from there. She is getting pokes in her finger before breakfast, lunch and dinner- and when she is done with her meal they are followed by her insulin shots. She also receives a poke in her finger at bedtime as well as an insulin shot then. We have been waking her each night at 2 a.m to get a blood sugar count (via finger poke) as well. Tonight is the first night that we will not wake to do that per Dr. orders. I am sure I will wake at 1:45 anyway.....if I am sleeping yet! lol! She appears to be going through a "honeymoon" phase where her pancreas is making some insulin- but still not enough....so her insulin intake has lessened but we do not know how long this will last.

Kaci seems to be adjusting - much quicker than I thought she would. She still gets angry at times- but there is so much happy in between. She is a tough little girl and smart beyond her years. She knows this is life changing- but we will not allow it to change who she is or who she wants to become. We have not slowed down since we have been home from the hospital. We have been swimming, slip n sliding, bowling, and having play dates at our house etc.

I am nervous a lot- but I am becoming more comfortable everyday. I was not sure that I would be able to handle this- but there is nothing I would not do to keep my children healthy and safe and I am proving to myself everyday that I am capable of a lot more than I thought I was. I am able to calculate and administer her insulin- as well as her blood sugar levels- but most importantly I am able to see Kaci through the same eyes I saw her with before. I love her like no other. She is my sunshine and she will grow up to be big and beautiful. She will be stronger and more compassionate because of this. She will make a difference and we will learn to help others in ways we couldn't before.

Clint is back to work- but is home for breakfast and dinner each night - so I only have lunch alone- but have had Amber or mom and dad with me during those times. :) Clint is the best dad (an husband) any kid could ask for. He is patient and tender- he is rowdy and fun. He is dealing with this much like me- ups and downs and all the feelings in between, but he knows that we can do it together.

Bailey is adjusting to this new life change as well. He is a little jealous, but also very compassionate. He told Kaci he would do anything if he could just take the pokes away- but also wonders why she is getting so much attention. He is only 5, but he is counting his carbs at dinner and reading the labels on his chip bags at lunch.

So- again- thank you to everyone who has said a prayer, sent a card or gift- or just thought of us during the day.We can feel your love and support and we will get through this....one day at a time. I am usually very good with thank you cards and emails- but have been lacking this week....as my priorities have been a bit adjusted and my sleep has been deprived! :)

You can keep up with our family here at this blog spot. I started this almost a year ago and plan to continue (although posts may be less frequent for a while) It is not a site to post only of Kaci's diabetes....because that is only one small portion of our lives. It is a place where you can read about ALL of us and ALL of the happenings in our lives.



"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;the courage to change the things I can;and the wisdom to know the difference."

1 comment:

Amber Eskew said...

That picture of Kaci is my favorite. I could just eat her up! She is just adorable!