My babies!

My babies!
Catch up on our families daily adventures, learn more about our dreams and experience life with diabetes through our eyes! Grab a cup of something warm and read on to learn more about my Random Thoughts....

Monday, September 19, 2011

Invisible Illness Week

Here is the shirt we have designed online for Kaci's walk team....Go Kaci's Krushers!!!



In honor of Invisible Illness week... and because everyone else is doing it... Here is my list of 30.

1. The illness I live with is: Type 1 Diabetes. Kaci is the one who HAS Type 1. But we all live with it.

2. Kaci was diagnosed with it on: June 28, 2009 She was 7 years old and about to start 2nd grade.

3. Kaci had symptoms since: I guess early May 2009. She was thirsty a lot and going to the bathroom several times a night. Then as the month progressed she started losing weight and complaining a lot that her legs hurt.

4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: The lack of sleep and the worry I feel when she is away from me at school each day.

5. Most people assume: That as long as Kaci doesn't eat too much sugar she is okay and doesn't need a shot. They don't realize that everything you eat will eventually turn to sugar. They don't realize that it is such a numbers game and often a "guessing" number game. They don't realize that even though she has her shot of insulin that you still have to worry about possible "highs" or "lows" in between the next meal.

6. The hardest part about mornings are: Um ...mornings really aren't much harder now than they were before. I am NOT a morning person- and neither are my kiddos!

7. My favorite medical TV show is: I don't watch any medical shows. I prefer shows like: The Office, Dancing with the Stars, Big Brother, Modern Family! They all start back up this week! Can't wait!

8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: Kaci's meter. Sometimes I check my blood sugar just to see!

9. The hardest part about nights are: The fear. It is ALWAYS worse at night.

10. Each day Kaci takes: 2 vitamins, 1 pill and a shot of insulin every meal, snack and at bedtime!
11. Regarding alternative treatments I: I hate when people ask me if she has learned to eat less carbs. I often want to say, "Have you thought of eating less carbs, chunky?" I hate when people suggest she eat more cinnamon.

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: Invisible. At least you can hide it if you want to. It presents it's own sets of problems but at least you have the choice.

13. Regarding working and career: I work, but I don't have to. I was able to take off the whole first year after Kaci was diagnosed. I only work part time, 3 days a week. I am able to drop the kiddos off at school and pick them up. I am able to check on her throughout the day- and her nurse at school often calls me just to let me know how Kaci is doing. We are blessed that way!

14. People would be surprised to know: The amount of math involved with Diabetes. Read this post I wrote about "A Day in the Life of Numbers"

http://andrea-randomthoughts.blogspot.com/2011/02/arithmetic-is-where-numbers-fly-like.html

15. The hardest thing to accept about Kaci's new reality has been: That it is FOREVER. I hate that it is forever. That it never takes a break or goes on vacation!

16. Something I never thought Kaci could do with her illness that she did was: I don't know. I have always believed that she can do anything. I think flying for the first time in November to Disney World will be challenging- but we will manage :)

17. The commercials about Kaci's illness: I have never seen a commercial about Type 1. All the commercials I see are about Type 2. She doesn't have Type 2, Thank you very much! Another pet peeve of mine....people confusing the 2!

18. Something I really miss doing since Kaci was diagnosed is: Not weighing food and counting carbs. I would just like to swing into Sonic or 7-Eleven and treat the kids to a slush or Slurpee without the guilt of knowing that Kaci has to have a shot for hers, while Bailey and I don't :/

19. It was really hard to have to give up: Watching Kaci be carefree

20. A new hobby I have taken up since Kaci's diagnosis is: Nothing new here....still read, and obsess about a clean house.

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: Pick up donuts for the kids for breakfast, eat Taco Bell for lunch, get a Slurpee and a cookie for snack and eat all you can eat pizza for dinner followed by a double scoop of Baskin Robbins ice cream on a waffle cone. On second thought.....we would all be sick with stomach aches....so maybe just donuts for breakfast and an all you can eat meal for dinner with no counting!!

22. Kaci's illness has taught me: How many carbs are in everything. Not to take things for granted!

23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: “What can she eat?” and "Will she outgrow it?" I know it shouldn’t, I know they’re just being concerned and helpful… It just gets me sometimes. Oh- another one that gets me ...."Do you worry Bailey will get it?"

24. But I love it when people: Ask questions and then genuinely listen to the answers. And remember what I tell them. Or ask more questions.

25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: I have several favorite quotes. Depends on the day and my mood....Here are a few of them:

"You can't change yesterday, but you can ruin today- worrying about tomorrow!"

"Making the decision to have a child -it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body." Elizabeth Stone

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about."

"He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it. "

"All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my children"

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: If we can do this....so can YOU! It will get easier but you will be sad and mad for a long time. Sometimes just when you think you aren't sad or mad anymore....it hits you like a ton of bricks! But you will be HAPPY again! The smiles will out number your frowns.

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: How generous people can be. How much they really want to help and understand.

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when he wasn’t feeling well was: They listened to me.....Just listened :)

29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: It's important. It's important for people to learn that our kids might not look sick.... And they aren't sick.... But they deal with things that would blow your mind.

30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: Happy!

No comments: