My babies!

My babies!
Catch up on our families daily adventures, learn more about our dreams and experience life with diabetes through our eyes! Grab a cup of something warm and read on to learn more about my Random Thoughts....

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Happy Birthday and World Diabetes Day!

Sunday November 14th is World Diabetes day. It is also my birthday! Hard to believe I will be 35 this year. I ALWAYS forget my age- ALWAYS! Weird, huh? I don't think I am THAT old- but whenever someone asks me, I always have to stop and think. Then- I usually say 32. Only to quietly do that math in my head and find out that I have given them the wrong age. Oh well- If they figure it out - they will just think I was being funny. I don't know why, but I like 32. I think it was the first birthday I had in our new house.....Or maybe I like being in my 30's- not my mid-30's! Who knows! I don't think age really bothers me....or does it?

Novmber 14th is also the birthday of Sir Frederick Banting (November 14, 1891 - February 21, 1941), a Canadian scientist, doctor and Nobel laureate who discovered insulin with Charles Best. They were awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology of Medicine in 1923. Thankful for these 2 men. Without their discovery- well, let's just not think about it.

This year's slogan for World's Diabetes Day is Let's Take Control of Diabetes Now.

The American Diabetes Association informs that there are 24 million Americans with diabetes, plus another 57 million who are at risk of developing type two diabetes. Globally, there are approximately 285million people with diabetes.

In the last year and a half- I have spend many, many, MANY hours being sad and mad about diabetes. With Thanksgiving around the corner, I have chosen to find one thing to be thankful for each day.

Today I am thankful for these 2 men and the scientists and doctors who continue to search for a cure for this disease. I am also thankful that I am 35 and not 36 :)

No comments: