My babies!

My babies!
Catch up on our families daily adventures, learn more about our dreams and experience life with diabetes through our eyes! Grab a cup of something warm and read on to learn more about my Random Thoughts....

Thursday, January 13, 2011

You have three choices; you can give up, give in, or give it your all !

Picked Kaci up early from school today (after treating her and Bailey to Taco Bell lunch) to take her to her 3 month check up with her Endocrinologist. So glad that Dr. Scott and RN Cassie have gained her trust and respect. She used to hate going - but now it is more like a *treat* to go to her appointments. Their new office is nice and so are they :)

We had a great check up! Her A1C1 was down from her last visit (even after the sweet - filled holidays) Way to go, Kaci! Her daily numbers are on the right track too! She even grew from 50 to 53 inches! PaPa is hoping for a volleyball star....so she is on the right track there! lol!

Before the meeting was over- I just had to ask a few questions about an insulin pump. We have talked about them a little at home- and with Uncle Chad....

For those of you who do not know- the "PUMP" is composed of a pump reservoir similar to that of an insulin cartridge, a battery-operated pump, and a computer chip that allows the user to control the exact amount of insulin being delivered. The pump is attached to a thin plastic tube (an infusion set) that has a soft cannula (or plastic needle) at the end through which insulin passes. This cannula is inserted under the skin, usually on the tummy. The site must be changed every 3 days. You can take the pump off while showering or swimming, but you leave the "site" on. The pump is used for continuous insulin delivery, 24 hours a day. You even sleep with the pump. It is one shot every 3 days.....right now Kaci is taking about 16 shots every 3 days. WOW! That is a HUGE difference!

Kaci is unsure about them.....there are things she likes, and of course things she does not like- or is just unsure of. I think she is most fearful that putting the site on her tummy will hurt. Who wouldn't be?

Doctor Scott told Kaci that the best way to get over her fear was to try it and said that we could put a site on her tummy right there in the office. Kaci was not having it....so, when Dr. Scott said Clint or I could try- I jumped at the chance! Kaci hid behind Dad who stood on my left, while Cassie stood on my right, to insert the device. I was certain that it was going to hurt - but bef0re I knew it...It was done. I was amazed!!! Of course, my tummy has a bit more cushion than most. On the way home it did sting a little bit- nothing horrible, but not pure comfort either.



I am wearing it for 3 days to see how it feels. Of course, I do not have the rest of the device on me. No strings and no actual device clipped to my pants pocket. No finger pricks to go along with it (people with pump devices still have to prick their finger to test their blood glucose levels) So I am SURE I am NOT getting the total effect! I will not pretend that this 3 day trial run of having the site alone attached to me is even comparable to what people with diabetes who wear pumps go through everyday. In the back of my mind- I know that when I take this off in 3 days I will not have to attach a new one. In fact, I know that if I wanted to take it off right now I could...no worries.

So far, I have put my clothes over it, taken a bath with it, driven with it, sat with it, taught with it, and even slept with it. Although I hardly notice it...there are times that I can tell it is there. I am more cautious of my tummy and where I put it! It got caught on the table a few times yesterday. Didn't really hurt- but made me aware that I had hit it.

I will remove it on Saturday afternoon- and I must admit I am a little nervous about it. Chad said it just feels like taking off band-aid. I will let you know.

We came home with several booklets about different types of pumps. We even have a "Pump Contract" and only have 2 more steps to complete before Dr. Scott will order one for us! Kaci shared with her class the next day that she may be getting a pump- a pink one, of course!

I have mixed emotions about Kaci getting one. I am anxious, excited, scared, and every emotion in between. Will I be able to figure it out? Will I be able to get the site on her? Will I be able to set it? Will she like it? Is pink the right color choice? lol!

We are still fairly new to this whole diabetes thing......but we are getting the hang of things real quick! I am sure we can handle this. If you asked me 18 months ago - If I could do what I am doing today to take care of Kaci - I would have said "NO WAY!" You do it because there is NO CHOICE...and once she gets a pump....there is NO CHOICE. I will learn it and I will learn it well. I will give it my ALL!

No comments: