My babies!

My babies!
Catch up on our families daily adventures, learn more about our dreams and experience life with diabetes through our eyes! Grab a cup of something warm and read on to learn more about my Random Thoughts....

Monday, May 21, 2012

Day 7 D-Blogging- Diabetes Hero

Click for the Diabetes Hero - Sunday 5/20 Link List.
Let’s end our week on a high note and blog about our “Diabetes Hero”. It can be anyone you’d like to recognize or admire, someone you know personally or not, someone with diabetes or maybe a
Type 3. It might be a fabulous endo or CDE. It could be a d-celebrity or role-model. It could be another DOC member. It’s up to you – who is your Diabetes Hero??

Well, this one was a no-brainer! Who is my Diabetes Hero? - 
Well, Kaci, of course!
She is 10 years old.
She has been living with diabetes for almost 3 years.
She was diagnosed on July 28, 2009 at the age of 7.


Here we are just weeks after her diagnosis at the beach. As scared as I was to take her on that trip- I knew that I had to do it. It was planned months before she was diagnosed and her Endocrinologist insisted that unless she was sick- I was not allowed to cancel! We went on the trip with my parents, my sister and her family. Clint has to stay home to work. I was the only one who knew how to give her her shots. Water play can drop her sugar like a brick- so can the hot sun. I was scared a lot.This is one of my most treasured pictures. It stirs up so many emotions in me! She was only 7 years old.

 

This is Kaci on her 8th birthday. It was her first sleepover party. Diabetes wasn't going to stop us.  I climbed over all the sleeping girls to do her 2 a.m. check!

 

Here is Kaci at age 9. She was all dressed up and ready for a Christmas brunch at her friend's house. I stayed until she had checked her sugar and made her plate. Ran to the Outlet Mall for about 30 minutes and then returned to give her her shot. Then- it was back to the Outlet Mall for me while they finished up the party. D-Mamma's- you understand!

 

Here she is at age 10- ready to attend Wicked with her Uncle Chad. They went out for Italian food before hand and even shared a piece of chocolate cake. She figured her own insulin and gave herself her own shot! Diabetes has never stopped her. It never will.

 My other Diabetes Hero is Uncle Chad. He also has Type 1 Diabetes. Always there when I need him. Many days and many nights he has answered my questions, calmed my fears and shared his stories. This is my favorite picture of him and Kaci!

No comments: