My babies!

My babies!
Catch up on our families daily adventures, learn more about our dreams and experience life with diabetes through our eyes! Grab a cup of something warm and read on to learn more about my Random Thoughts....

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Some days.....

Some days Diabetes makes me mad. :/
Some days Diabetes makes  me sad. :(
Some days it frustrates me. ://
Some days I am totally indifferent to it.
Someday it makes me feel strong. :)
Somedays it makes me feel like I am going to punch somebody in the face!

Kaci had her blood work done last Friday. She has her blood work done every 6 months- they check her thyroid, her Vitamin D and her A1C.

Oh,  A1C how I hate you!

The A1C test is a common blood test used to diagnose type 1 and type 2 diabetes and then to gauge how well you're managing your diabetes. (There is the part that kicks me in the gut.....it "gauges how well you're managing your diabetes ) - Or in Kaci's case- it gauges how well I AM MANAGING KACI'S DIABETES!

The A1C test result reflects your average blood sugar level for the past two to three months. Specifically, the A1C test measures what percentage of your hemoglobin — a protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen — is coated with sugar (glycated). The higher your A1C level, the poorer your blood sugar control. And if you have previously diagnosed diabetes, the higher the A1C level, the higher your risk of diabetes complications. Fun things to have to worry about for your 10 year old daughter, right? NOT!

For someone who doesn't have diabetes, a normal A1C level can range from 4.5 to 6 percent. For most people who have previously diagnosed diabetes, an A1C level of 7 percent is the treatment target.

Last time we went to the Endo Office- Kaci's A1C had increased from the previous visit.

It feels like such a slap in the face! UGH! In my heart - I know that I only do what I think it best for Kaci. That I weigh what she eats, count carbs, use the Nutrition App on my phone when we go out to eat, multiply, divide, add and subtract until I am blue in the face. I know in my heart that I would never do something intentionally to raise her A1C or put her at risk for future complications- but still, STILL I let this A1C decide if it was a "good" or a "bad" Dr. visit.

We go to her check up tomorrow. I am ready to punch someone in the face....
 and we aren't even there yet!

No comments: